Son of Prominent Yes on 8 Leader Quits Mormon Church Over Prop 8
by: Andrew Callahan
Fri Nov 14, 2008 at 11:54:02 AM EST
Matthew Lawrence, 28, of Santa Ana, California is just one of approximately 500 people who have contacted Signing for Something ( http://www.signingforsomething... )in the last few days to announce his resignation from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints because of the Mormon Church's handling of and involvement in the gay marriage issue. Matthew is gay and is the son of Gary Lawrence, 67, who is the "State LDS Grassroots Director" for the state of California. (See http://yesonprop8.blogspot.com... ).
Matthew Lawrence, in an e-mail interview with this diarist, said that although he is "extremely upset and frustrated" with his family and that he has "cut off communication with them," that "at the end of the day, I do love them." The elder Lawrence was also the Mormon Church's point man for the Prop 22 campaign in 2000. Matt says, "I love my family so much, but it's hard to not take this personally. We had a brief falling-out over Prop. 22, but that got mended. But two anti-gay initiatives in eight years, it's impossible not to feel attacked."
- ► 2009 (97)
- New York Times Editorial Supports FPPC Investigati...
- All the News on Californians Against Hate - Read A...
- FPPC To Investigate Mormon Church Involvement in P...
- Secret Mormon Memo From 1997
- Discrimination at Princeton?
- News Update
- Boycott A-1 Self Storage - Owner Gave $693,000 to ...
- Liveblog Thursday Night
- News Coverage From Around the World
- Secret 1997 Mormon Memo on Gay Marriage Plan Revea...
- Mormon Church: It's Tearing Families Apart
- Sworn Complaint Filed Against Mormon Church with C...
- Meet Terry Caster - $693,000 to Yes on Prop 8
- Laguna Beach Demonstration
- Mormon Money Watch
- ▼ November (15)