1997 Mormon memo on banning same-sex marriage receives wide exposure
by: Pam Spaulding
Last week it was revealed that the LDS church has been thinking about efforts to ban same-sex marriage in California for more than a decade, and was well aware of the church's PR problem if it were to lead the charge on a referendum.
What the late LDS leader Gordon Hinckley knew at the time was that he needed to hook up a church with a better rep (ha!) to front for it - the Catholic church. Here is a report on the strategy memo:
In the above report, the church doesn't question the memo's validity, in fact, the sources said there are other related documents that could surface. One snippet of the LDS memo underscores the level of hate the church has for gays (HLM refers to "homosexual legal marriage"):
Saturday, November 15, 2008
- ► 2009 (97)
- New York Times Editorial Supports FPPC Investigati...
- All the News on Californians Against Hate - Read A...
- FPPC To Investigate Mormon Church Involvement in P...
- Secret Mormon Memo From 1997
- Discrimination at Princeton?
- News Update
- Boycott A-1 Self Storage - Owner Gave $693,000 to ...
- Liveblog Thursday Night
- News Coverage From Around the World
- Secret 1997 Mormon Memo on Gay Marriage Plan Revea...
- Mormon Church: It's Tearing Families Apart
- Sworn Complaint Filed Against Mormon Church with C...
- Meet Terry Caster - $693,000 to Yes on Prop 8
- Laguna Beach Demonstration
- Mormon Money Watch
- ▼ November (15)