Gay Bishop to Deliver Prayer at Inaugural Concert
By Jacqueline L. Salmon
Episcopal Bishop V. Gene Robinson, an openly gay man whose ordination helped touch off a worldwide struggle within the Anglican church over homosexuality and Scripture, will deliver the invocation Sunday at a concert to kick off the inaugural celebrations, officials said today.
The concert at the Lincoln Memorial, will feature performances by Beyonce, Bono and Bruce Springsteen, among others.
The Rev. Sharon E. Watkins, who leads the liberal-leaning Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), was tapped to give the sermon in the National Prayer Service at Washington National Cathedral, which concludes the inaugural ceremonies -- the first woman to lead that service.
The selections of Robinson and Watkins round out a group of theologically diverse ministers who will play prominent roles during the Obama inauguration. Evangelical pastor Rick Warren will deliver the invocation during the inaugural ceremony -- a choice that riled some Obama supporters because of Warren's opposition to gay marriage -- while the Rev. Joseph Lowery, a black Methodist civil rights activist, will give the benediction.
Shaun Casey, an ethics professor at Wesley Theological Seminary in Washington who served as an Obama campaign adviser, said the diverse choice of ministers is a "precursor of what the administration is going to look like."
"It's an extension of who Obama is," he said.
Robinson endorsed Obama for president before the New Hampshire primary -- one of the first prominent religious leaders to land in Obama's camp. He served as a faith adviser to the campaign and also advised it on gay-rights issues.
But he called Obama's choice of Warren to deliver the invocation a "slap in the face." Warren supported California's Proposition 8 this fall, a measure that voters approved, outlawing gay marriage in the state.
In an e-mail to friends posted today on the Web site Episcopal Cafe, Robinson wrote, "[I]t will be my great honor to be there representing the Episcopal Church, the people of New Hampshire, and all of us in the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender community."
- News Release on Federal Court Ruling re Prop 8 Con...
- Mormon Fight Over Disclosure of Prop. 8 Donors
- Rick Warren Coverage -- Media Matters Set the Reco...
- Sean Penn on Prop 8: Shame on Mormons and Blacks
- Tom Hanks Says Mormon Supporters of Proposition 8 ...
- American News Project Reveals Mormon Prop 8 Bombsh...
- Rick Warren $3.00 Bill
- News Coverage - Californians Against Hate
- Bishop Gene Robinson to Deliver Prayer
- The Mormon Post Prop 8 PR Campaign...The Law Suit
- NEWS RELEASE ON FEDERAL LAW SUIT
- Rick Warren's Africa Problem by Max Blumenthal
- Black gay activists: Ebenezer should dump Warren a...
- ▼ January (13)